In creating specialized content, I draw from my academic and professional backgrounds. I have extensive experience with developing syllabi, teaching/facilitation, grading/feedback and leading discussions/activities.
Peace Can Be Learned
If we want to create a more peaceful and loving world, then we need to teach peace. To teach peace, we must be able to define it—and have a working knowledge of how it transforms our own lives and changes others around us for the better.
I define peace education as the process of cultivating the knowledge, skills, attitudes and values needed to transform the world from a culture of violence towards a culture of peace and nonviolence (I also co-authored a definition with Katie Zanoni for David Smith’s Peace Jobs: A Student’s Guide to Starting a Career Working for Peace).
Does your organization seek a teacher professional development program in peace education? Or perhaps your learning institution would like to create an in-depth study course to guide folks through your peace-based educational material? Maybe your yoga/wellness studio wants to jazz up its workshop offerings to something more action-oriented? I’m here to help! I’ll develop specialized course content that suits your unique aims and needs.
Here’s a sample of my work:
- Teachers Without Borders Peace Education (the curricula I helped create won the 2018 Luxembourg Peace Prize for Outstanding Peace Education)
- Person Power Yoga Program
- PeaceMeal: Cultivating Peace Through Food
- True Nature School of Yoga: The Heart of Living Your Yoga—Yamas & Niyamas
Career, Service & Training Highlights
- Metta Center for Nonviolence, 2013–2018: Director of Education
- Teachers Without Borders, 2010–2015: Peace Education Program Coordinator
- Chapman University, International Studies Graduate Program, 2014–2016: Instructor
- San Diego City College Peace Studies Program, 2013–2016: Instructor
- Soliya, 2010–Present: Program Facilitator, Trainer & Mentor
- Order of Interbeing Earth Holder Sangha, 2017–Present: Member of Caretaking Council
- San Diego Peace Resource Center, 2014-2016: Board Member
- Peace Corps, December 2002-February 2005: Returned Volunteer, Niger
- Doctorate in Community, Liberation and Ecopsychology, Pacifica Graduate Institute (in progress; estimated graduation 2021)
- Master of Arts in Peace Education, University for Peace (2010)
- Bachelor of Arts, Environment and Development, McGill University (2001)
- Kripalu School of Yoga, 200-hour yoga teacher certification (2006)
- True Nature School of Yoga, 500-hour yoga teacher certification (2012)